Experienced Santa Barbara Car Accident Lawyer
Fighting to protect your financial future
Santa Barbara is among the most beautiful cities in California. Nestled between the green Santa Inez Mountains and the blue Pacific Ocean, dappled with white facades and terra cotta roofs, including its historic Mission, Santa Barbara is the heart of the American Riviera. Yet, in this picturesque setting we are not immune to the grim toll of auto accidents, which are a leading cause of death in California. Dangerous intersections like Las Posadas Road & U.S. 101, Cliff Drive & Las Gaviotas and State Street & Mission Street have been the scenes of car crashes resulting in severe and costly injuries. If you find yourself injured in a car accident near Santa Barbara City College or a truck crash on Route 101, an experienced attorney at Patterson Law will work to recover the compensation you deserve.
Insurance companies are not on your side
Anytime there has been an injury or serious damage, you should talk to a Santa Barbara auto accident attorney. Unfortunately, even your own insurance company’s primary goal is to settle the matter as soon as possible at the least possible cost to the company. You need someone on your side. You should also know what to do following an accident and get medical advice as soon as possible.
Fighting for your full compensation and care after a car accident in Santa Barbara, CA
With nearly 35 years of trial experience, our Santa Barbara and Ventura accident attorney has recovered significant damage awards for our personal injury clients, including:
- Law enforcement officers
- Meter attendants
- Public transportation users
Robert Patterson diligently researches, carefully prepares and skillfully argues your case to ensure that you receive complete compensation, including for:
- Medical care
- Rehabilitative care
- Loss of income
- Reduced earnings capacity
- Loss of loved ones
- Loss of limbs
- Emotional trauma
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
We work with medical experts to establish the full extent of your injury, and financial experts who help us estimate the total of your economic losses over the course of a lifetime.
Recognizing when someone else is as fault
A 2010 report issued by the National Safety Council estimated that 28 percent of all traffic crashes involve drivers using cell phones and texting. Negligence can also include:
- Other distractions (eating, putting on makeup, etc.)
- Driving under the influence
- Knowingly using faulty equipment (worn brakes, tires, etc.)
- Breaking a law (running a red light, passing on the right, etc.)
Car accidents can also involve negligence by car companies and poor infrastructure, such as:
- Faulty airbags
- Seatbelt malfunctions
- Unrepaired bridges
- Poorly designed ramps
We also handle cases where personal injuries are caused by intentional actions, such as when a jealous ex hits your car on purpose, or a suspect tries to escape by ramming a police vehicle.
Types of car accidents in Santa Barbara, CA
- Head-on collisions — These are the deadliest types of crashes because of the combined force of the vehicles. Evidence that one vehicle crossed into the opposite lane can remove all doubt as to fault.
- Rear-end collisions — These crashes are usually held to be the fault of a vehicle following too closely. However, drivers that cut off other cars or brake abruptly can also be at fault.
- Side-impact accidents — Most often, the at-fault driver in such accidents is the one who violated traffic rules, such as by running a red light or stop sign or making an illegal turn.
- Rollovers — In addition to driver negligence, fault can lie with improper vehicle design or with poor road conditions. Victims often experience severe trauma from impact and violent shaking.
- Chain-reaction pileups — These multivehicle collisions often pose challenges for accident reconstruction experts. Pileups can cause a wide variety of injuries.
At our firm, we work tirelessly to investigate the causes of a crash to determine fault.
What evidence might contribute to my car accident case?
An accident victim must prove the other driver’s fault by a preponderance of the evidence, which can include:
- The police accident report
- Witness statements
- Defendant admissions
- Accident reconstruction report
- Surveillance video
- Accident scene photos
At our firm, we also use medical records and financial records to prove the extent of the victim’s injuries and damages.
Contact an experienced auto accident attorney in Santa Barbara
Patterson Law combines the experience of a large firm with the personal attention of a small firm. We primarily serve Santa Barbara, Ventura and San Luis Obispo counties, though we work with clients from Los Angeles and San Francisco as well. Initial consultations are free. Call us at 888-479-4589 or contact us online.